Is Poison the Answer to My Rodent Problem?

Poison is often the first idea that comes to people’s minds when they are rat poisonfacing a mice or rodent infestation on their property. Though it is possible to see some success with this method around a house, barn, shed, or other affected area, it is not the preferred method – for many reasons.

Problems with Poison

One of the biggest dangers of using rodent poison is that it is also harmful to humans and other animals. If your household has children, pets, farm animals, or other wildlife nearby, you should avoid using poison all together. Even a responsible adult who is unaware of the poison’s presence can accidentally come into contact with it.

Though rodent poison does kill the offending mice or rats, it does not actually get rid of them. Instead of being rodent-free, your property will be littered with remains that have to be disposed of. If any of those rodents die inside a wall or inside your attic, they can be extremely difficult to extricate and will leave your property with a horribly foul smell.

If that isn’t enough, rodents are known to carry a number of diseases which can be transferred to humans if proper care is not taken when disposing of their carcasses. Even if you take precautions, you are still at risk of exposure.

What Should I do Instead?

It can be tempting to try and handle an animal infestation on your own, especially if you’re used to tackling projects around the house, but the best way to handle the situation is always to call a professional for assistance. Wildlife management companies like Critter Control® are equipped with the tools and knowledge necessary to rid your property of nuisance rodents, while keeping you and your property safe from harm.

For questions about our rodent control services, or to schedule a consultation, call Critter Control®  today at 305-258-3587.